The Faroe Islands Explorer
7 Nights / 8 Days • Self-Drive
The Faroe Islands are a destination for true explorers: many people have never heard of them at all, but to those in the know, this is a trip of a lifetime.
Apart from the jaw-dropping waterfalls, colourful houses and gigantic rock formations, the islands are home to a wide variety of birds, countless sheep, and remarkably friendly people.
This is the perfect location for a self-drive trip: not only are many of the islands connected by bridge, but there’s also very little traffic, roads are safe and well-maintained, and people are welcoming and happy to chat with visitors.
If this trip isn’t quite what you’re looking for, let us know. We have several other options available.
- Round trip airfare to Faroe Islands from Edinburgh (Scotland), Keflavík (Iceland), Copenhagen (Denmark) or Barcelona (Spain)*
- 7 Nights accommodation at B&B and Guesthouses (or Hotels)
- Daily breakfast
- Car rental, category B with airport pick up / drop off, free mileage and CDW
- Maps and detailed driving directions (including suggested stops and drive times)
- Visit the Faroese with coffee and cake
- Return ferry to the island of Sandoy
Price is per person, based on double occupancy.
Applies to daily departures (B&Bs + Guesthouse Option.)
*extra cost applies; please inquire
See below for more details.
DAY 1 - Arrival Day
Today you arrive in the Faroe Islands via Atlantic Airways, armed with all of the information and maps you could possibly need. You’ll pick up your rental car at the airport, and follow our simple directions to experience the island of Vágoy on your own. We recommend a visit to the small village of Gásadalur. From here you can walk out on marked nature trails and enjoy the impressive view over Tindhólmur; don’t miss the beautiful waterfall that runs in to the ocean. Spend the night in Vágoy.
DAY 2 - Eysturoy
Depending on the time of year you visit, we highly recommend a two hour boat trip to Vestmanna birdcliffs*, allowing you into the grottoes and between the high cliffs where birds swoop in and out of their nests, making a raucous noise. The view from the water provides a fascinating perspective. Also, visit the new – and unique! – Saga Museum of wax sculptures.
Then continue on to the picturesque village of Tjørnuvík, surrounded by steep mountains. Here you can see the impressive rock formations the Giant and the Witch. Cross the bridge, that connects the islands of Eysturoy and Streymoy, and continue to the village of Eiði. Here more beautiful surroundings and nature will await you and view of the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands, Slættaratindur, 882 meters. Spend the night in Eysturoy.
*Boat trip is not included, ask for details.
DAY 3 - Eysturoy
Today you enjoy the day at the village of Gjógv, which is known for its unique natural harbour. Here it is possible to hike on your own and enjoy the view of the birdcliffs and the beautiful Ambadalur Valley. Hiking maps are available in Hotel Gjáargarður in Gjógv. Spend the night in Eysturoy.
DAY 4 - Northern Islands
From Leirvík you drive through the sub-sea tunnel to the town of Klaksvík. The tunnel is decorated with lights by the famous Faroese artist Tróndur Patursson. From Klaksvík it is possible to explore the other Northern Islands, each offering dramatic landscapes. On the island of Viðoy lies the most northern village in the Faroe Islands, Viðareiði, which definitely is worth a visit. Enjoy a cup of coffee or a slice of bread at the local restaurant. Spend the night in the Northern Islands.
DAY 5 - Tórshavn
We suggest that you visit the island of Kunoy in the morning – where you will be able to admire a beautiful view of the island of Kalsoy. Above the village is a small cosy park. A local legend tells that up on a high mountain in Kunoy lies a plank from Noah’s ark. Clams and sea shells grow on it. People, who have gotten lost in the fog have seen the plank, but no one who has gone looking for it has ever found it. Back on Eysturoy you will drive towards the village of Søldarfjørður, where you visit a private home with an impressive garden. Here coffee and cake will be served. Spend the night in Tórshavn.
DAY 6 - Tórshavn
Visit the beautiful and green island of Sandoy, also called the Saga-island. The island is, compared to the other islands, characterized by mostly flat terrain. The island has a wealth of history and wonderful nature. Take the ferry from the harbour Gamlarætt to the village of Skopun. Do not miss the villages of Dalur and Húsavík which lie in beautiful surroundings. In the village of Skálavík it is possible to buy food and beverages in the new vacation centre. Spend the night in Tórshavn.
DAY 7 - Vágoy
Enjoy the day in Tórshavn on your own, but don’t forget to visit the village of Kirkjubøur which is the Faroe Islands’ historical and cultural centre. The picturesque old farm is home to a family who for 17 generations have run the farmstead and ecclesiastic site. See the unfinished Magnus Cathedral and the small medieval church of St.Olav. Spend the night in Vágoy.
DAY 8 - Departure Day
Today is your last day – after breakfast (depending on the time of your flight) you’ll return your rental car at the airport before your departure with Atlantic Airways.
- Day 2. Boat trip to Vestmanna Cliffs, lunch, SagaMuseum (available in June, July and August). Highly recommended.
- Day 6. Local guide in the village of Sandur, visit the oldest wooden church in the Faroe Islands, and hear the dramatic story about the priest Kálvur Little (available all year).
- Day 6: Visit a Faroese boat builder (available all year).
- Upgrade to a bigger car.
- Table reservation at a restaurant in Tórshavn.
- SCDW. Renters liability DKK 7.000,- per damage – which can be reduced to DKK 1.000,- when making an additional insurance (SCDW) at DKK 100,- per rental day.
- Cancellation insurance (3% of package price).
All of the options above are available for an extra cost – please ask when booking!
- This Self-Drive Trip has two options available: stay in either comfortable Guest houses and B&B’s, or for an extra charge, choose the hotel option.
- This package includes airfare to the Faroe Islands from one of several departure points (Edinburgh, Keflavík, Copenhagen or – for a fee, Barcelona) so it’s easy to combine this trip with a stay in one of those cities
- Ask us for affordable airfares and pre- or post-stay options
Price is per person based on two people sharing a standard room. Other room types: please inquire. Proof of insurance is mandatory; if you need to purchase trip cancellation or health insurance please inquire. For full Booking Conditions, please see thetravelsociety.com/booking-conditions/ Tour is operated by The Travel Society, Inc., 174 Spadina Ave., Suite 404, Toronto, ON, M5T 2C2, Canada; 1 (877) 926 2500; TICO Registration #1280649